Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Barcelona Wonders!

Buenos Diaaaaaaas! It's been awhile since I last posted some pictures but Pheroze and I just got back from a weekend trip to Barcelona and I felt inclined to share.  We had an AMAZING time.  There were thunderstorms when we arrived on Friday and then sunshine and warm weather for the rest of the weekend which was excellent for our very busy sightseeing itinerary!  I wish we had taken more pictures at night but we really forgot about the camera mainly.

First, here are some videos to entertain you.  They are all of street performers we ran into in Barcelona except one which I thought would fit this little assembly here.  One is from Portobello market in London and the rest are Barcelona:

This guy was just a weirdo.

This is the London Portobello market guy.  Ridiculous!  He had all of these other electronic instruments he used as well (not surprisingly) that I didn't capture in this little snippet.

And here is a sample of some break dancers who were very impressive on La Rambla in Barcelona one evening.  One guy had this helmet he wore and spun around on his head like a human top!

This guy put on a big show as though he was going to do a flip over these people.  But in fact he only flips over one of his buddy's outstretched arms.  I think.

And now for a whole lot of sightseeing pics!  Believe or not cut down from an even bigger album with more videos!

Ready for takeoff!

Most amazing dinner ever!  This place was crowded with locals and we mozied on inside only to realize nobody spoke any English whatsoever.  We went with the recommendation of the owner....


Delicious squid on potatoes.  So fresh and delish.

As were these mussels.

The wonderful owner posing for a pic on departure.  He's not smiling, but you can tell he loves it.

That night we went out to a local bar and drank a lot of local beer.  And forgot to take pictures.

This is the view outside of our apartment we rented.  We were upgraded to a two bedroom with a full size kitchen, two bathrooms, dining room, living room etc.  Very lucky indeed.

Gorgeous first sight of the morning (sun!).

Our apartment.

Loved the patterns on the sidewalks all over the city.

Pheroze in front of our apartment door.


Spanish dollar store.


Excited about the palm trees!!





Wonderful coffee/pastries/juice served by these old men in bowties.  Loved it!


Mmmm I love Europe.




We were walking down this narrow street not expecting anything when we saw something big near the end of it....

This is the first church we saw.  The first of many.




We also enjoyed a couple of amazing markets with fresh everything.  I have a bazillion pictures so I randomly selected two.



Another gorgeous church.





Walk along the harbour


Christopher Columbus monument!

Me riding the lion on the Christopher Columbus monument!

Another church...


Patisserie delights for lunch!


Oldest church in Barcelona in the background

Inside the antique hospital library.  Very cool.

Sagrada Familia.  Big hit!












Beauty shots in the stained glass light while taking a break haha




Crazy flea market.  Very dirty.





Flea market sign.

Parc Guel overlooking the city.  It starting getting a little rainy here.





We went to this bar in the gothic district for some live music on Saturday night which everyone (including ourselves) really enjoyed!

Interesting name for a hotel?


Morning at the beach.  Ah so NICE!

 
Of course eating pastries...


1 comment:

  1. All your photos are amazing Sasha! Looks like you're having a fantastic time.

    - Courtenay

    ReplyDelete